KMPlayer (also called K-Multimedia Player) is a popular media player by Korean developers that supports a lot of different formats. It’s known for its stylish design and a massive number of codecs supported (compared to other players). The app comes for Windows (32 and 64 bit), OS X (starting from 10.6), Android (4 and above) and iOS (7 and above). It is often referred to as one of the best media players on the market.
KMPlayer is a universal player that was designed to support any existing media format, and it has many additional capabilities to make the user experience more pleasant and smooth. Here are its primary features:
- plays audio files
- plays video files and DVD (including 3d videos)
- supports subtitles
- supports video capture
- supports audio capture
- allows to modify the playback speed (to make the file play faster or slower)
- includes a sophisticated system of internal and external filters
- supports additional audio and video effects
- supports customized skins that can be changed dynamically
When you first launch KMPlayer, you immediately notice that it has a distinct dark interface, which makes it stand out. It is clear that in that respect, KMPlayer is more stylish that many of its competitors, let alone that dark UI themes put less strain on the eyes (and are also a new trend). Of course, as a user, you have the absolute freedom in how you change the appearance of the KMPlayer app, because it is very customizable. The player can be used with a large number of skins found online. Moreover, you can configure your player to change the skin dynamically, on the fly – depending on what media type is playing.
The user interface of KMPlayer is pretty smooth. In order to pause the video or audio, you simply double click on the screen. With a middle click, you toggle full screen mode. In order to change the volume, the up and down keys are used. There is the universal Quick Button that lets you access the most important functions in one click.
KMPlayer supports a bunch of pretty interesting functions that may not be present in other players.
- URL streaming: you can play directly from Youtube, which is pretty cool.
- Remember Played Position: with this additional option, you can resume playing the file where it was closed last time.
- Play a folder: play every single file in a given folder.
- Play damaged files: damaged frames are automatically skipped (in case if the download was not finished).
- KMP Connect: stream media files from your PC on your mobile device.
KMPlayer supports almost every media format available. Below is an incomplete list of file formats and codecs supported by KMPlayer:
- Video files: AVI, WEBM, 3GP, WMV, MPG, MPEG, MP4, MKV, FLV etc.
- Audio files: MP3, OGG, WMA, WAV, CDA, AAC, MPA, APE, FLAC etc.
- Playlist files: PLS, ASX, M3U, LNK, WMX, WVX
- Module (tracker) files: MOD, XM, S3M, UMX, MTM
- Codecs: DivX, MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, H.265, H.265, SVQ1/3, Theora etc.