Facebook Messenger is a messaging application and platform from the US. It was originally created as an instant messaging feature for Facebook, but it was later developed into an independent application. The application is now called Messenger and it is the most popular messaging application in the world with more than 1 billion users.
Here are some of the features of Facebook Messenger:
- FREE: Just like its social media partner, Facebook, the application is entirely free since they both use the device’s internet connection. This means that users never have to worry about paying extra fees when sending a message or file. Even when a device is not connected to wi-fi but uses its mobile data connection and you run out of data, users can still send and receive messages on the application; however, this special feature is limited to messages only – photos cannot be viewed until a stable internet connection is obtained.
- VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS: Aside from simply sending typed messages, users can also call their contacts with excellent video and sound quality. Users can now also make group calls, and to make any call more interesting, Facebook Messenger has a filter feature that adds a fun mask to those who wish to add character to their calls.
- VOICE MESSAGE: Whenever you get tired of typing your messages, or you want to sing something, you can send a voice message with just a push of a button. Voice messages are limited to a length of one minute per message.
- SHARE YOUR LOCATION: Users can now arrange rendezvous points by pinning it on a map. The feature can also be used to send a user’s current location.
- MESSAGE BUSINESSES: Thanks to the application being free, businesses and restaurants can easily be contacted thanks to their presence on Facebook and the “chat” button that is advertised on their page.
- CHAT HEADS: For easier access to the application, Facebook Messenger uses chat heads that will pop on your device’s screen whenever you have a new message. The chat head will also remain on your screen until you remove it. This allows for easy access to recent conversations.
- SHARE FILES: You can send almost anything on Facebook Messenger, including pictures, videos, music, documents, presentations and gifs. Links from third-party applications can also be shared to friends through Facebook Messenger.
- SECRET CONVERSATIONS: In the event you want to share personal and private information or files with one of your contacts, you can start a “secret conversation” with that person. This conversation will be more secure with end-to-end encryption for the sake of your privacy.
- MENTIONS AND REACTIONS. In a group chat, mention a specific person using the “@” symbol so that they know a certain message is meant for them. Users can also react to messages the way they would react to a Facebook post.
- MY DAY: Share your daily experiences with all your contacts by uploading a picture, video or quote to your My Day. You can also keep track of who viewed your “day”.
One downside of this application is that in order to use Messenger, you first need to have a Facebook account. However, you don’t need to be friends with someone on Facebook to contact them on Messenger. Other than that, Messenger offers many features that are continuously improved over time for the convenience of its users, making it a popular communication application.